This is a traditional way of Mexican fry tacos. These crunchy tacos are one of those recipes that take a little bit to make but once you pull it off, it’s super yummy and the best part is that kids love it as well. Oh, you can make them vegan too! with mash potatoes.
There are many versions of these tacos but I chose to make them with beans since they are a healthy and low fat sources of protein.
Refried beans (there are many excellent canned versions out there if you don’t have time to make them from scratch – Trader Joe’s is my favorite and it’s fat free!)
Unflavored oil (canola, vegetable, olive oil, etc.)
1 Pack of Corn Tortillas
Garnishes (just suggestions – feel free to be creative):
Mayonnaise and/ or Sour cream
Pico de gallo salsa and/or your favorite salsa
Crumble Queso fresco
- Prepare and plate your garnishes so you can immediately eat your tacos once they’re warm and ready.
- Warm a tortilla in one pan. In a separate pan, warm up the refried beans.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a pan with raised sides. While the oil is heating, put a tablespoon of beans inside the tortilla and fold it in half so that the two sides are sealed together.
- Depending on the size of the tortillas, you may be able to fry 4 – 5 tortillas at a time. Be sure not to crowd the pan and to keep the heat to a medium high heat. As the tortillas fry, you assemble more tacos.
- Place the fried tacos on a rack with a paper towel. Using tongs here makes the job easier.
- This whole process takes at least 20 to 30 minutes depending on how big your pan is. The process takes time but believe me, it’s worth the wait!
Serve the tacos and stuff them with your favorite toppings!
Eat them before they get cold!!